Thursday, November 24, 2011

Don't Lose Who You Are.




Today we live in a world where you are constricted. The way you act, the way you dress, the way you talk or look, has to be in the lines. Few have the courage is to step out.  And often, those few give up and are forced to follow the crowd. This all is too much for us to handle. It changes us. Our minds adapt to the restrictions. In the end, it is important to overcome this conformity and fight for our individuality.

Jessie J and I have several beliefs in common, but one stands out far in front of the others. We believe in respect of the individual, and we fight for this daily. We believe that if an individual wants to do something that others don’t with the caveat that they will not cause harm to another, then they should be respected and should be dealt with fairly. She addresses this with her song 'Who You Are'. This song is about being yourself, and being individual even if it is not easy to do so. In Jessie's song 'Who You Are', she makes obvious three main points under the heading of individuality that she supports: Trying to fit in to somewhere you never will, accepting your imperfections, and finally, being down to earth and real.


Let's talk about the blunt truth for a moment here. Being in middle school, I take part in this, and witness this everyday--trying to be someone your not. For example, Jessie J fights against this by singing "I stare at my reflection in the mirror. Why am I doing this to myself? Losing my mind on a tiny error. I nearly left the real me on the shelf." With these lines, she is saying that don't try to be someone fake. Don't try to "fit the mould", like she later sings in her song. I agree with Jessie J completely. I believe in being yourself, and being the same person all the time, whoever you are around. Be individual. Be yourself. No "fake shows", like she mentions. Jessie J is also a very good example of this. In her song "Who's Laughing Now", she tells the story of when she was a kid, even though all the other girls wore pretty pink dresses and made fun of her because she was different, she didn't try to be someone she's not. And this is the is the message she is fighting to get across to everyone. 

Imperfections are something everyone has. Even the prettiest girl in the world has insecurities. But you shouldn't let them get you down. People do not understand that if you just ignore it and have fun, most probably no one will even notice the reason your insecure. People spend hours trying to perfect themselves. As Jessie J suggests when she sings "Brushing my hair, do I look perfect." But often, by doing this, they get so self involved that in the end, "The more I (they) try the less its working." With these lines in her song, you can tell that she wants nothing more than for this not to happen. She gives all she has, she fights, or rather sings to her last breath trying to get this message across. And being a receiver of this message, I understand how much it is needed. Like all middle-school girls, I am extremely self conscious. Nothing ever seems to be right. My hair, my weight, my leg shape, the size of my feet, all the way down to my eyelash length. So yeah, you could say that I needed this message Jessie J teaches. It is fine to be imperfect. Without imperfections, you wouldn't be a real person.

Last, but not at all in the least, is the message she gives off about being down to earth. It is slightly silihouetted throughout the whole song, but comes apparent in the last bridge. "Yes, no's, egos, fake shows, like WHOA! Just go, and leave me alone! Real talk, real life good love, goodnight." So many people try so hard to be cool, that they lose sight of whats important,  and Jessie J fights hard to bring it back into view. You have to be real, you cannot put on a big front and then not live up to it. Being a superstar, Jessie J lives in Hollywood, and you can only imagine how many people she meets that are completely fake. And this comes through in her music. In "Whose Laughing Now", the song I mentioned earlier, she goes into great detail imitating the fake people she meets daily, and how she reacts to them. She fights hard to promote not being fake in her media life, and her personal life as well, in doing this, she even more important role-model in this subject.

Jessie J fights for individuality. No matter who you are, where you are, or what you look like, you can hear Jessie's message loud and clear.  Jessie J teaches us to be ourselves, to step out of the boundaries too clearly set out for us daily. Jessie J fights for awareness of individuality, which is important to her. Jessie J fights for awareness of individuality, which is important to me. Jessie J fights for awareness of individuality, which at the end of the day, important to everyone.


Picture:
I chose this because even though not one flower is exactly the same, they are all individual, and it makes something beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you have created a story about being yourself because it is important. One thing that you might need to work on is the grammer some sentences are small and that is needing work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really enjoyed reading your blog post. It was very very thought provoking and it made me realize things that I hadn't realized before. I also liked how you linked your blog to one person and their music. I was wondering what about the song made you decide to write about it. I also think it was really realistic how you related your personal life and experiences which for me made the blog even more realatable. I liked your blog a lot because i can actually relate to it in my every day life. The way you explained things was very clear and good.

    ReplyDelete